December 9th, 2011 at 7:38pm by Your Eliteness
It was a few weeks before Christmas. A little boy was on his way to the mall with his mother. The boy was excited because this was the first time he would meet Santa. He was looking forward to telling Santa what he wanted for Christmas, but he couldn’t decide. “Mom, what should I ask Santa for?” The boy’s mother didn’t want to answer his question. After all, part of the fun of visiting Santa is seeing what your child wishes for. She replied, “Think about what you want more than anything else, but don’t tell anyone except Santa.” The boy stared out the car window in deep thought as his mind ran wild with ideas.
Before long, the boy was waiting in line to sit on Santa’s lap. He overheard the kids in front of him wishing for video games and various technology. The boy suspected his wish was going to be unlike any other wish that Santa had received. He briefly considering changing his wish, but he decided not to. He had already made up his mind.
The boy and his mother were called over to Santa. The boy sat on Santa’s knee and divulged his wish. He whispered in Santa’s ear, “I want new rankings for the-elite.net.” Santa smiled and nodded politely. The boy continued, “I want players to be able to update their times and have the rankings updated immediately… I want the rankings to always be up to date…” The boy stared into space as his mind raced with ideas. “I want each player to have their own single profile, even if they play both games… I want to be able to look at any player and see all their times, points and ranks in one place…” The boy’s requests started becoming more and more outragous, but Santa still patiently listened. “I want streaming videos that play straight from the world record table… I want an achievement system…”
The boy’s mother was standing nearby and was starting to feel rather embarassed about her son’s ridiculous requests. “That’s enough,” she said, but the boy was not finished. “I want to be able to compare times between players… I want to be able to search a player’s complete PR history… I want all times stored eternally with the date they were achieved and their videos.”
The boy’s mother apologized to Santa, picked up the boy from his knee and started carrying him away. The boy struggled futily to escape his mother’s grasp while calling out, “I want the in-game stage thumbnails to show on the rankings and stage pages! I want an interactive worldwide map of where all the players live! I want NTSC/PAL rankings and Rare rankings all handled by the one system!” By now the boy’s mother had carried him out of view of Santa. There was no point continuing.
During the trip home, the boy couldn’t think of anything else. Would his wishes be granted? Would Santa deliver? Were his requests reasonable or even possible? Immediately after arriving home, the boy went straight to the computer and searched for statistics on how many Santa wishes were granted. His heart sank as he read story after story of children who had wished for one thing and gotten something completely different. It was as if the Santa they revealed their wishes to was a completely different Santa to the one who gave them their presents. The boy was almost certain his wishes were not going to be granted. He wanted to erase the day’s events from his memory and pretend it didn’t happen, but he couldn’t.
Finally, Christmas Day arrived. Beep beep! Beep beep! Like every Christmas, the boy’s alarm woke him at some ungodly hour of the morning. The boy raced to his computer and logged on to the-elite.net to check the rankings. This was it, the moment he’d been waiting for. Had Santa delivered? The boy loaded the rankings and… frowned as the same old rankings appeared on his screen. Oh well. Disappointed, he stumbled out of his room to wake the rest of his family so they could open their presents.
The present opening went just like any other Christmas. He’d open a present, find it’s something he didn’t particularly want, thank the person who gave it to him and put it aside. Repeat until all the presents have been opened. Eventually the living room was a mess of wrapping paper. All the presents had been opened. The boy hadn’t received anything worth noting. He was about to leave the room when he noticed a small envelope behind the Christmas tree. It must have been missed earlier.
The boy picked up the envelope and found it was addressed to him. He turned it over. On the back were the words “From Santa”. Curiously, the boy opened the envelope and pulled out the contents. It was a card. The boy opened the card. The inside of the card was void of any writing except for a short phrase written in the center:
HO HO HO! Merry (early) Christmas, Elite!
That’s right, gone is the need for your times pages! Gone are the 3 day waits for the rankings to be updated! The Elite has leapt forward into the modern age with what is quite possibly the most awesome software ever written!
Here’s a rundown of the new system:
* Each player has their own login. You only have and need one login even if you play both games.
* Once logged in, players can post new times and they will be immediately reflected throughout the site, including the rankings.
* Players can set videos (eg. YouTube or Thengamer) for their times and it will be displayed along with their time – maybe even on the record table itself!
* Players can write comments about their times.
* Players can set whether their times are NTSC or PAL and they will be displayed on the NTSC and PAL record table if they’re records.
* Players who play both games will be automatically included in the Rare Ranks.
* Players can post old times, set the date they were achieved and assign videos to them.
* Players have their own profiles with heaps of info such as contact details and latest times.
* Players can specify their location and they’ll appear on our worldwide gamer map.
* Each player’s times page shows times, points and ranks all in one table. You can click buttons to highlight WRs or shade your times depending on how good or bad they are.
* Players can compare their times with other players. You can select the other player by name or by rank.
* There’s an achievements/rewards system to encourage people to reach milestones.
* RSS feeds are available by game and by type (PRs/WRs/untieds) so you can easily see when someone has posted a new time.
Accounts and logging in
Everyone who is on the rankings currently will already have a login for the new system. Players log in using an email address and password. Your email address is the same one you see on the old GE and PD roster pages. You’ll need to use your email address to create a password. If you don’t have an email address on the old rankings, can’t access your email or have any other problems you can contact any of the following people and we’ll sort you out:
* Me (AIM: YourElitenessPD or youreliteness at gmail.com)
* Ngamer (AIM: Im Ngamer or ngamer at gmail.com)
* Derek Clark (derekclark at gmail.com)
* Thiradell (AIM: Thiradell or taupefish at yahoo.com)
Your passwords are stored encrypted using a method which cannot be reversed. No one can tell you what your password is, not even me, but the above people can reset it if needed.
Please note that under no circumstances should you should ever create a second account. This is never needed and it would be unfair to the other players.
Document your times
The system is capable of recording old PRs. It it will automatically determine which PRs are current and which are old. Only current PRs will be included in the main rankings, whereas old PRs will only be shown on the Past Records page and player PR history.
We would appreciate it if you could go back through your past PRs and fill in any missing info if you know it. Specifically:
* Add any old WRs or notable PRs which aren’t in the system already.
* Set videos for your times, especially your current PRs. If your video isn’t online, upload it!
* Set the date you achieved your times if known. These can be gotten from the WR and PR topics on the forums. All the date information from Silver Angel’s WR databases has been imported already.
* Set whether each time was achieved on NTSC or PAL. Note that if you contact me I can batch update all your times to one system.
If you’re a dual-system player (ie. both NTSC and PAL), don’t forget to add your other system’s time for each stage and difficulty. You might hold a PAL or NTSC record!
Remember, this is more than just a rankings system. It’s documentation of the Elite’s history. So please add every past PR you can find, including old strats.
Optional: Become a historian
If you would really like to be awesome, you can apply to be a historian. Historians can edit the video/date/system/comments for any players’ times. Historians can also add times for another player provided it wouldn’t be a new PR. If you’re interested in becoming a historian, talk to Ngamer or myself.
Show your appreciation
The new rankings have been created entirely by me with ideas from a few others. I started the project on my own initiative and spent countless hours most nights for the last two months working on it (and I hope it shows!). I’m not charging anyone for my efforts. If you’d like to show your appreciation you can make a donation.
Have fun with your new rankings, Elite!